PRINCIPAL DOUBLE BASS (audition details)
Estonian National Symphony Orchestra announces an audition for PRINCIPAL DOUBLE BASS (full-time, commencing August 1st, 2023, remuneration info will be sent with invitation).
The audition will be held in three rounds – the video round, the stage round and the orchestra round. To apply, please send your application and CV (no official application forms are provided) to firstname.lastname@example.org , with a quoting reference “Double Bass”, by January 22nd, 2023 at the latest, along with a link to one uncut video recording* where you perform:
- one movement from the Suite im Alten Stil for double bass solo by Hans Fryba
- one of the following three pieces:
Giovanni Bottesini. Elegy No. 1 in D major
Giovanni Bottesini. Elegy No. 2 in E minor (Romanza Dramatica)
Giovanni Bottesini. Elegy No. 3 in E minor (Romanza Patetica)
- orchestral excerpts** from Ludwig van Beethoven. Symphony No. 5, III movement from bar 1 to 18, from bar 44 to 75 and from bar 141 (with upbeat) to 218.
Invitations to the stage audition will be sent to selected candidates by January 30th the latest, after the initial review of the sent videos by the audition committee.
The stage audition will be held on March 7th, 2023 at 10:00 at the Estonia Concert Hall.
Repertoire to be prepared for the stage audition:
- Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf. Double Bass Concerto in E major (I and II movement, with H. K. Gruber cadenzas)
- Johann Baptiste Vanhal. Double Bass Concerto (I and II movement, with H. K. Gruber cadenzas)
- orchestral excerpts**.
- Giovanni Bottesini. Double Bass Concerto No. 2 in B minor, I and II movement
- Sergei Koussevitzky. Double Bass Concerto, I and II movement
- Eduard Tubin. Double Bass Concerto
- orchestral excerpts**.
On the basis of the stage round, a few candidates will be asked to play in the orchestral round, participating in turn in up to 3 ERSO’s concerts and related rehearsal periods during the spring of 2023. The winner of the audition will be announced after the orchestral round.
The stage audition will take place during the course of one day. Only live performances are possible. ERSO will not supply participants with visa invitations and will not pay travelling nor possible other costs incurred by competitors. The position witholds managing the section and leading sectional rehearsals Alongside their musical responsibilities, section principals contribute to the management of the orchestra through the Board of Principals. All foreign colleagues are expected to become proficient in the Estonian language within the first working year.
* The video recording must be filmed with one camera, the player facing the camera so that also both, the player’s hands and the instrument, can completely be seen throughout. Any post-processing of the sound or picture is prohibited. All required music can be recorded in one take.
** Orchestral excerpts are available on our website under the audition announcement, for the videoround immediately and for the stage round along with the invitations.