Estonian National Symphony Orchestra announces an audition for
(full time, commencing March, 2024; monthly remuneration 2187 Euros in gross sum or 2909 Euros with social tax).
The audition will be held in three rounds – the video round, the stage round and the orchestra round.
To apply, please send your application and CV (no official application forms are provided) to email@example.com, with a quoting reference “Harpist”, by August 31st, 2023 at the latest, along with:
- a link to one uncut video recording* where you perform Carl Philipp Emmanuel BACH: Solo für die Harfe/Sonata for Harp in G, H.563, Wq 139 (Breitkopf), II Allegro (not included)**;
- a link to one uncut video recording* where you perform B. BRITTEN: The Young person’s guide to the orchestra, op. op.34 Variation I, Fugue: from I to K **;
- a link to one uncut video recording*, where you perform P. I. TSCHAIKOVSKY: The Nutcracker. Vals des fleurs: Cadenza**;
- a link to one uncut video recording* where you perform R. STRAUSS: Don Juan. Beginning till 3 bars after A; from D till 7 before G; from L till N**.
Invitations to the stage audition will be sent to selected candidates by September 6th the latest, after the initial review of the sent videos by the audition committee.
The stage audition will be held on October 6th 2023 at 10:00 at the Estonia Concert Hall, Tallinn.
Repertoire to be prepared for the stage audition:
- Paul HINDEMITH: Sonata for Harp: II.Lebhaft and
- orchestral excerpts**.
- Claude DEBUSSY. Danse sacrée et danse profane and
- orchestral excerpts**.
On the basis of the stage round, up to 3 candidates will be asked to play in the orchestral round, participating in turn in up to 3 ENSO’s concerts and related rehearsal periods. The winner of the audition will be announced after the orchestral round, by 29.02.2024 the latest.
All participants will play on our Lyon & Healy harp during the stage round (ENSO will provide a Lyon & Healy Style 23 harp for the stage and a Style 85 harp for the rehearsal). The stage audition will take place during the course of one day. Only live performances are possible. ENSO will not supply participants with visa invitations and will not pay for travelling nor other costs incurred by candidates.
Alongside their musical responsibilities, section principals contribute to the management of the orchestra through the Board of Principals. Tutti rehearsals (4hrs daily) are normally held on working days, concerts are usually on Fridays. The working language in ENSO is Estonian.
* The video recording must be filmed with one camera, the player facing the camera so that also both, the player’s hands and the instrument, can completely be seen throughout. Any post-processing of the sound or picture is prohibited. All required music can be recorded in one take.
** Orchestral excerpts and solos are available on our website under the audition announcement for the video round immediately, for the stage round simultaneously with the invitations.